Preferred bidder for Vilnius street lighting PPP
- Gemmo S.p.A.
Vilnius City Municipality Council (Lithuania) has begun to consider a draft PPP contract for the Vilnius street lighting renovation project.
Three candidates were invited for a competitive dialogue after a qualification process. However, Gemmo S.p.A. submitted by only proposal for the project and it has resulted as preferred bidder.
France's Citelum and Austria's Strabag AG were the two other companies bidding initially for the project.
The project cost is estimated at €31.3 million. The contract is for a period of 18 years plus 2 years to renovate the lighting network. The project will be developed on a design, build, finance, operate, and transfer (DBFOT) basis.
- Renovate Vilnius city lighting in a most economically effective way
- Improve Vilnius illumination
- Reduce energy consumption
- Save budgetary expenses for the street lighting
- Improve lighting management to enable distant real-time controls
- Reduce number of crimes committed at night
- Reduce CO2 emissions
- Ensure quality and prompt maintenance of the lighting system
- Ensure quality lighting of Vilnius streets and public spaces
Economic LED lamps will replace the current sodium lamps across the city, over an installation period of two years. There are up to 44,000 lights in Vilnius, which were last upgraded in 1997-2000 and are reaching the end of their life.Vilnius aims to decrease the usage of electricity for street lighting by up to 50 per cent. Modernization of the system is expected to make the city more environmentally friendly and safer for residents and visitors.