Aberdeen announces investment in wind farm

Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest news and business opportunities in your inbox
Aberdeen announces investment in wind farm

Vattenfall has decided to invest more than SEK3 billion (US$346 million) in the 92.4 MW Aberdeen European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre (EOWDC) off the Scottish coast.

The project is being developed by Aberdeen Offshore Wind Farm Limited a joint venture formed by Vattenfall with the 75% of the shares and Aberdeen Renewable Energy Group with the remaining 25%.  In line with earlier agreements, Vattenfall will acquire Aberdeens’ shares and become the sole owner of the project.

The facility has a projected capacity of 92.4 MW through 11 turbines, although a maximum of 100 MW has been consented. The site is about 2km to 5km off Aberdeen’s coast. Apart from generating electricity, it will also be a centre for testing and developing new technologies for offshore wind power.

Construction of the wind farm offshore is expected to start in the latter part of next year so that it can start generating electricity in spring 2018. Onshore construction activity will start later this year.

The original plan was to install 33 turbines. However, due to marine safety and environment conditions among other issues the number was reduced to 11 turbines.

Magnus Hall, CEO and President of Vattenfall, said:

“We aim to double our wind power capacity from 2 to 4 GW by 2020 and are focusing on reducing and streamlining our offshore wind power costs. Our investment in the European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre off Aberdeen is an important part of this process.”

 “This project underscores our long-term aim to extend our wind power capacity in Great Britain. The British government wants wind power to continue making up a significant part of the country’s climate-neutral electricity generation. We aim to be a part of this development and grow in Great Britain.”

Share this news

Join us

In order to get full access to News section, you must have a full subscription. You can check all the benefits of becoming a member and purchase a subscription on our membership page.