Aquila Capital and ewz co-invest acquire Swedish 60 MW wind park

Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest news and business opportunities in your inbox
Aquila Capital and ewz co-invest acquire Swedish 60 MW wind park

Alternative asset manager Aquila Capital and Swiss electric utility enterprise ewz will acquire a Swedish 60 MW wind park from Eolus Vind AB, a Swedish wind developer.

The 29 Vestas wind turbines are located in four wind parks and have an installed capacity of around 60 MW. ewz GmbH will acquire a 51% share in the Swedish operating company. Aquila Capital, which is part of the Aquila Group, will hold the remaining 49%, thereby increasing the wind portfolio it manages for its global institutional client base to a total of 360 MW.The transaction has a total value estimated at €95 million (US$110 million).A key success factor of the transaction is the cooperation with various strategic partners: As announced in January 2014, Google will purchase the entire electricity produced by the four wind farms under a long-term PPA. Eolus have been entrusted to provide technical and administrative services to the wind farms.

Roman Rosslenbroich, Co-Founder and CEO at Aquila Capital said:

“The transaction underlines the growing popularity of the partnership model between utility companies and specialist financial investors, which harnesses their joint financial, regulatory and technical expertise. This is proving to be a highly efficient solution to financing infrastructure projects. “Previously, institutional investors preferred to allocate capital to real assets through funds and direct investments. Today, we are seeing a clear trend towards co-investment structures, particularly in the renewable energy and infrastructure segments. The Aquila Group is ideally positioned to capitalise on the co-investments trend as we provide many of the key services required under one roof.”

Bruno Hürlimann, Head of Strategic Projects at ewz added:

“The innovative financing concept enables ewz to deploy the available funding in a more efficient and targeted manner in order to secure production capacity for wind energy in the long term. In addition, the core expertise of ewz as an energy provider, that of Eolus Vind AB as a wind farm developer and of Aquila Capital as a financial service provider, complement one another perfectly.”

Hans-Christian Schulze, Deputy CEO and Head of Sales at Eolus, commented:

“Entering into business with companies such as ewz and Aquila Capital, who strive to make a difference through strategic investments in renewable electricity generation, is an exciting and growing part of Eolus activities and perspectives.”

Share this news

Join us

In order to get full access to News section, you must have a full subscription. You can check all the benefits of becoming a member and purchase a subscription on our membership page.