EDF, F2i and Edison sign agreement to create renewable energy champion in Italy

Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest news and business opportunities in your inbox
EDF, F2i and Edison sign agreement to create renewable energy champion in Italy

F2i, Edison and EDF Energies Nouvelles entered in late July into an agreement that will lead to the founding of Italy's third largest operator in the renewable energy sector and will control around 600 MW of capacity (mainly wind power) following the combination of the facilities operated by Edison Energie Speciali (EDENS) and of some of the facilities that EDF EN Italia operates.

The new renewable energy hub will contribute to the growth and consolidation of this sector's best operators, leveraging Edison's industrial competencies in managing and optimizing electric power production of different technologies, together with those of EDF Energies Nouvelles in the Operation and Maintenance area (O&M). Financial strength and skills will be enhanced by the presence of a strategic partner such as F2i, a long-term institutional investor with consolidated experience in the renewable energy sector.

The Italian electric power market, while still going through a challenging period, thus confirms its attractiveness for operators capable of optimizing the complementarity of thermoelectric, hydroelectric and other renewable-source power generating assets. By maximizing the value of these competencies, the new company could become an aggregation hub for the operators of medium and smaller-size in the renewable energy sector.

The transaction calls for establishing a new energy player whose shareholders will be F2i, with a 70% interest, and a holding company owned by Edison and EDF Energies Nouvelles, with the remaining 30% (Edison will hold an 83% interest in the holding company and EDF Energies Nouvelles 17%). At the same time, a newly established company of the EDF Group (management company) will supply Operation & Maintenance services to the new energy hub.

The innovative business model will consist of Edison taking delivery at a fixed price of all of the energy produced by the facilities optimizing it with its production portfolio, while the management company will be handling operation and maintenance, guaranteeing the technical performances as well as the availability of the facilities. This approach will give the full benefit from the existing industrial and operational competencies and will minimize market and operational risks for the new company.

We had announced the transaction in early June 2014.

This transaction is expected to close by the end of the year.

Share this news

Join us

In order to get full access to News section, you must have a full subscription. You can check all the benefits of becoming a member and purchase a subscription on our membership page.