Offshore works underway for European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre

Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest news and business opportunities in your inbox
Offshore works underway for European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre

Vattenfall, a Swedish power company wholly owned by the Swedish government, and Aberdeen Renewable Energy Group have announced that the construction work for the European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre or the EOWDC offshore wind farm is already ongoing.

The project is being developed by Aberdeen Offshore Wind Farm Limited a joint venture formed by Vattenfall with the 75% of the shares and Aberdeen Renewable Energy Group with the remaining 25%.

The facility has a projected capacity of 84 MW through 11 turbines, although a maximum of 100 MW has been consented. The site is about 2km to 5km off Aberdeen’s coast.

Upon completion this capacity would be capable of yielding, on average, green electricity to power the equivalent of more than 68,000 UK households. Full offshore construction is scheduled to start in late 2017 or early 2018.

The original plan was to install 33 turbines. However, due to marine safety and environment conditions among other issues the number was reduced to 11 turbines.

Andy Paine, head of UK offshore wind development for Vattenfall and project director for AOWFL, said:

“The pioneering EOWDC will help establish the north east as a global centre of innovation for the offshore wind industry. It is through test and demonstration of next generation products and services that offshore wind will become a low cost sector.The preparatory works being carried out helps keep the project on schedule ahead of an investment decision later this year and first power in 2018. The partners are currently working on the basis of fully financing the more than £230 million scheme and want to see the project come to fruition.”

Aberdeen City Council Leader, Councillor Jenny Laing, said:

“The EOWDC is a vital project for the North-east of Scotland and has reached an important point in its development. It will help to deliver significant and long-term economic benefits to the region and the opportunities for local energy companies will be substantial. The EOWDC will help to cement Aberdeen’s reputation as a global energy city and a world-leading center for innovation. This is why the EOWDC has been a long-standing priority for AREG and this council.”

Share this news

Join us

In order to get full access to News section, you must have a full subscription. You can check all the benefits of becoming a member and purchase a subscription on our membership page.