RusHydro and China Three Gorges Corporation to develop hydropower projects in Russia

Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest news and business opportunities in your inbox
RusHydro and China Three Gorges Corporation to develop hydropower projects in Russia

Russia's JSC RusHydro recently announced signing of preliminary agreement with China Three Gorges Corporation (CTG) on joint development of hydropower projects in the Russian Far East.

The document was signed by CEO of RusHydro Evgeny Dod, and Vice President of CTG Fan QiXiang.

The parties have agreed to set up a joint venture (JV) with RusHydro's ownership of 51% and CTG holding the remaining 49% for financing, building and operating up to 2,000 MW hydroelectric plants in Russia's Amur Oblast and Khabarovskiy Kray. The total cost of the projects is estimated at ca. RUB 230 bn; however the construction cost of each project could be revised following the feasibility studies. The partners plan to raise at least 70% of required funds as project financing from primarily Chinese and Russian institutions backed by long-term power purchase agreements. As per the agreement, CTG will be responsible for negotiating the electricity off-take contracts with its Chinese counterparts.

RusHydro will prepare and provide detailed feasibility studies of each project approved by a reputable professional international financial advisor. The JV's management and Board of Directors will then evaluate the projects based on their economic feasibility and potential for electricity export under a power purchase agreement to establish further course of action in regard to each project.

Construction of four hydroelectric dams will not only provide reliable protection of the Amur region from periodic severe floodings, but will also create new power generation capacity for prospective increase in industrial consumption in Russia's Far East and potential for electricity export to China. JV will seek to evaluate and develop the following projects: Nizhne-Zeyskaya (400 MW), Selemdzhinskaya (300 MW), Giluyskaya (462 MW) and Nizhne-Nimanskaya (600 MW) hydropower plants.

CEO of RusHydro Evgeny Dod:

"The agreement signifies a breakthrough in cooperation between our countries in the power sector and in attracting Chinese investment into the Russian electricity sector. We have signed not just a protocol of intent, but comprehensive practical documents, describing specific measures aimed at development of large-scale energy projects in the Russian Far East. Our Chinese partners will be actively involved on all stages of the projects' development - engineering, procurement and construction. In addition to protecting vast territories, both on Russian and Chinese banks of the Amur River from catastrophic floods and contributing to development of modern power infrastructure the region, the projects will provide additional stimuli for economic growth and job creation".

Chairman of CTG Lu Chun commented:

«By signing this agreement, I hope that China and Russia can achieve a stronger cooperation in the clean energy development and a closer Sino-Russian strategic partnership, bringing benefits to the people in Russian Far East and along Helongjiang River in China».

Share this news

Join us

In order to get full access to News section, you must have a full subscription. You can check all the benefits of becoming a member and purchase a subscription on our membership page.